Understanding twin screw extrusion process versus single screw extrusion is an important factor for the decision makers of the company who want to invest in the extrusion technology.
Undoubtedly a twin screw extruder is a much superior machine than that of a single screw extruder.
Mayuresh Gears Pvt. Ltd. is having a long term experience in providing twin screw extruders for a wide range of applications. Here is a checklist of the many processing advantages of the MGPL Twin Screw Extruder:
- Twin screw extruder has remarkable mixing capability, because of the intermeshing screws and the broad diversity of specialized screw designs that allow the extent of mixing to be precisely adjusted leading to control the degree of mixing. On the other hand, mixing capability of single screw extruders is very limited having flow restrictions to enhance mixing through special screw designs.
- Twin screw extruder can handle high level of process flexibility and capability to handle multiple processes such as melting, mixing, cooking, venting, cooling, etc. But in case of single screw extruder the throughput and screw speed are dependent, and screw designs with multiple processing functions in series are restricted.
- Twin screw extruder offers higher process productivity as compared to single screw extruder.
- The price of twin screw extruder is relatively higher because of the complex nature of the machine while single screw extruder structure is simple and low priced.
- Plasticizing capacity of twin screw extruder is better and faster. In single screw extruder the granular materials stay longer in the extruder slowing down production time.
- In a twin screw extruder the operation is complex and process control requirements are higher than that of a single screw extruder which has easy manipulation and simple control process.
MGPL twin screw extruder consists of two intermeshing, co-rotating screws mounted on splinted shafts in a closed barrel. Due to a wide range of screw and barrel designs, various screw profiles and process, functions can be set up according to process requirements. Hence, MGPL twin screw extruder is able to ensure transporting, compressing, mixing, cooking, shearing, heating, cooling, pumping, shaping, etc. with high level of flexibility. The major advantage of MGPL intermeshing co-rotating twin screw extruder is their remarkable mixing capability which confers exceptional characteristics to extruded products and adds significant value to processing units.
In twin screw extrusion process the raw materials may be solids (powders, granulates, flours), liquids, slurries, and possibly gases. Extruded products are plastic compounds, chemically modified polymers, textured food and feed products, cellulose pulps, etc.